Wednesday 16 March 2011

Wheat and more

I've been awarded a small sustainability grant for the project so I am beginning to think about looking at sustainability issues. Part of the Botanic Garden's displays includes useful plants - these are the crops that feed many of the world's population. I saw this scarecrow today protecting the seeds sown of wheat, oats, barley and flax. Someone had sacrificed their boots, trousers and sweat shirt. The wicker head is slightly disturbing.
I need to make the leap of imagination to weave these themes together into art work - as Darwin said of the evolution of flowering plants - an abominable mystery!
One of the ideas I hope to develop is that of an audio walk in the garden, this hopefully will be an ambitious project with multi-layered sound. As a sustainable art work it requires no materials and could be put onto the Botanic Garden website for everyone to share. I've started recording some sounds and still feeling my way with the technology. Not quite sure what it has to do with printmaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment